Monday, September 29, 2008

Music: Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam + Chaudvin Ka Chand

It should be no surprise to anyone that's read the first few posts on this blog that I'm obsessed with Guru Dutt. While watching Fanaa, a Hindi film written by a fan of old films, there's an antakshari scene with two of his film's songs used. In addition to "Hum Aapke Aankhon Mein" from my favorite film Pyaasa was "Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam" from another one of my favorite films of his, Kaagaz Ke Phool. I can't get this shit out of my head.

Guru was known for a lot of things but some believe the way he used light is the real legacy he left to Bollywood. This was made in 1959? I don't know shit about old films but I imagine the shot at about 2:00 is impressive for 1959. And damn, Waheeda Rehman was so fly. Though it's one of his best films, it was a commercial disaster and though he basically directed or co-directed after this he never wrote himself in the credits as Director. This was the first Indian film made in wide 75 mm CinemaScope as well.



While I'm posting on Guru Dutt songs, I may as well mention another. I love that the director of East is East bigged this song and film up by having the family travel to the Indian suburb to watch this at a theatre while the kids complained. This is also one of Rafi's finest recordings, which says alot.

No comments:

Google Analytics