Tuesday, August 11, 2009

\\\throwback indian art post

Sanatan Saha is an artist I've never heard of before. (Also - I just typed her name as SANTANA SAHA, which is kind of dope.) Many artists fall under this category of WHODAFUCKISTHAT. In this case it may not be my fault though. Sanatan Saha has only shown in India thus far - Calcutta, Bangalore, New Delhi. Wait, no, represented by Aicon Gallery, she showed at their Palo Alto gallery last year. Whatever though. Peep more of her work here on Aicon Gallery's site - http://www.aicongallery.com/artists/sanatan-saha/

UNTITLED (MAN SITTING IN ABSTRACT), 2007, Acrylic on canvas, 60 x 48 in.


UNTITLED (WHITE AND PURPLE WOMAN), 2007, Acrylic on canvas, 36 x 30 in.


PROGRESSION OF POWER, 2006, Acrylic and oil on canvas, 36 x 42 in.


LOST IN THOUGHT, 2007, Mixed media on paper, 30 x 24 in.
UNTITLED I, 2007, Acrylic and oil on canvas, 60 x 48 in.
UNTITLED II, 2007, Acrylic and oil on canvas, 60 x 48 in.

And here's another artist dude I just came across - Prakash G Nayak who is represented by Mahua Gallery out of Bangalore. Shit looks dope. Where was this guy when Aravind Adiga needed the art/book cover equivalent to "Indian dude influenced by Richard Wright" cuz this hella looks like the cover of Richard Wright's stuff. Who made those images anyway? They seem to have had a long-lasting impact on the H-man. In my freshman year creative writing class at Stuy, the only creative writing class I've ever taken, we had to write memoirs and mine was called Brown Boy and I tried to bite dude's covers. That class was taught by this lady who liked cursing way too much but it was exciting because it was high school. She spoke about Frank McCourt real passionately. They taught together as he used to teach at Stuyvesant before he wrote that dope book. I think they used to smash. I always had that feeling. If there's an internet in heaven, RIP dude. (THERE HAS TO BE AN INTERNET IN HEAVEN THOUGH, OBVIOUSLY.... I HEARD ON THE HEAVEN VERSION OF THE INTERNET, TWITTER NEVER GOES DOWN AND YOUR BRAIN HAS A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH FUNCTION.)
Anyway - who was the artist behind those covers.... Let's see.... any day now... my work server's bugging.... maybe cuz I stay blogging and tweeting and myspacing all day... but whatever if they think I'm finna stop....,,,,, pft hm, pfff. psh.. pf, ha,..,

Howard Rambsy at Southern Quarterly said this in their upcoming Winter 2009 issue: "Taken together, the Black Boy covers represent an intriguing interrelated graphic narrative that is arguably more central to the reception of Wright than has been previously acknowledged. "

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do as old ass Howard isn't of the Twitter age. I'll get back to Richard Wright covers. Will figure out who did them. I know David Diaz did a cover with 8 of them. Hmmm... Okay... In the mean time.... how did we get here? Prakash G. Nayak. Right:

Me likey:





Them jawns remind me a little bit of Gazala's work but definitely with more color. Gazala used to work at Citigroup or something in corporate marketing. This was after she was a model in Bombay for hell of long and designed heck of clothes. Gazala is showing September 10th here in the city. I'm probably finna attend to stare at these jawns and drink mediocre wine and shit, etc. etc. etc. etc.

[gazala1.jpg]

Some of her jawns which me likey:

More of them jawns here: http://www.gazala.30art.com/

No comments:

Google Analytics